Kansas City Criminal Defense Lawyers
Can I Apply for a Hardship License?

Can I Apply for a Hardship License?

In Kansas, drivers are allowed to apply for a limited driving privilege (hardship) license if your driver’s license has been suspended for at least one year. The hardship license gives suspended drivers partial restoration of driving privileges for the purposes of commuting to and from work, school, and/or alcohol treatment programs.

To be eligible to apply for a hardship license, you must fulfill several requirements. If your DUI license suspension was given after a refusal of a chemical test, you need to wait until your 90-day suspension is finished. As soon as the suspension period passes, you may submit your application for a harship license to the Division of Vehicles (DOV). If your license was suspended because you failed a test or were convicted for an alcohol or drug-related offense, you can still obtain a hardship license, but with restristed driving privileges. You will still need to serve 45 days of license suspension before receiving the hardship license.

However, there are several reasons for the DOV to deny a hardship application, such as:

  1. The applicant has a “failure to appear” on his or her record for a traffic citation
  2. The applicant has been convicted of failure to maintain driver liability insurance
  3. The applicant failed to file or maintain evidence of vehicle insurance with the Driver Control Bureau
  4. The applicant has been convicted of driving while suspended
  5. The applicant has been convicted of reckless driving
  6. The applicant has an out-of-state suspension
  7. The applicant is a habitual violator

Once approved for a hardship license, drivers need to pay for the Ignition Interlock Device (IID) and drive with it for the remainder of their suspension, including an additional “restricted” period from one to ten years. The additional IID restriction is based on the number of prior actions/convictions the drive had and for test failure, how high their BAC was after DUI arrest.

If you have been arrested for a DUI, contact Stein Law, LLC and request a free consultation with our Kansas City criminal defense attorneys today.


Contact Us Today

All Consultations are Free and Confidential
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.